Cheesy Mini Elk Loaves
6 servings of 1 mini elk loaf (My Guy needs 2 of these)
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 1 slice)
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup, divided*
3 ounces white cheddar cheese, diced**
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (less if you don’t like spicy)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (again regular to reduce spice)
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds ground elk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Or toast in toaster oven at 350° for 5 minutes.
3. Add onion and garlic to a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Spray lightly with cooking spray and mix. Cover with a plate or lid and microwave 3 minutes on high, stir and microwave another 3 minutes. Or heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes.
4. Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, and the remaining ingredients.
5. Shape into 6 (4 x 2-inch) loaves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; spread 2 teaspoons ketchup over each.
6. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done.
* If you like a little more spice, top the loaves with a spicy style ketchup.
** Use any cheese you have, even grated is fine.